Candidate Statement: Town Councilwoman Maura Curtin
I am honored to seek your support for re-election to the Pelham Town Council. I pledge to continue delivering concrete improvements for families in our community, while emphasizing bipartisan cooperation and fiscal responsibility.
Residing in Chester Park with my husband Charlie and our 6th-grade daughter Reese, at heart I am a community organizer and advocate. I have dedicated hundreds of hours to organizations like the PTA, the Chester Park Association, Pelham Together, Pelham Newcomers Club, Board of Education Community Engagement Committee, and as a volunteer for 17 years and board member for 6 years at the Bereavement Center of Westchester. Additionally, I am a member of St. Catharine’s Church where my daughter absolutely loves playing CYO Basketball. In 2017, as my daughter started kindergarten, I teamed up with a bipartisan group of like-minded parents to pass a $52m bond for a new state-of-the-art elementary school that opened in 2021 and will serve generations to come.
With a Political Science degree from Fordham University, I served as the Managing Director for Senator Alessandra Biaggi’s Political Committee. Over two decades, I held senior executive roles at media companies and internet start-ups like Conde Nast, MySpace, and Tumblr. Leveraging expertise in negotiation, budgeting, business development, marketing and public relations. I’ve built strong relationships with elected officials that have made a positive impact on our town. Here are some highlights:
– Secured $450,000 from Senator Fernandez and Assemblywoman Paulin to purchase an ambulance for Pelham
– Worked closely with Town Board to reimagine our approach to EMS
– Advocated for a county ambulance to be stationed near Pelham, significantly improving emergency response times while we implement the new ambulance contract.
– Secured $280k in state funding to modernize & renovate the Daronco Town House.
– Implemented the new town website to meet ADA requirements, ensuring easy mobile accessibility.
– Assisted the Pelham Children’s Center to secure the necessary permits for their after-school care program to continue at Hutchinson School and ensuring that this vital resource will be reliably available in the future.
Looking Ahead: My first term illustrates my success collaborating with my fellow Council members and other elected officials on our community’s behalf. In my next term, I will:
– Ensure our ambulance and emergency services achieve their intended results.
– Help facilitate the implementation of a multi-year financial plan with ample reserves for emergencies and anticipated capital expenses.
– Support analysis of best town property use, particularly in light of the Pelham Village police department’s departure from town hall, I will explore opportunities to find dedicated space for seniors and youth, with input from all stakeholders.
– Continue to advocate for & support our volunteer boards for the Library and Recreation. They work hard to add programming and value to our community everyday alongside our town employees.
My track record demonstrates my dedication to achieving results through hard work, compromise, and collaboration with residents as well as elected officials on every level.
I hope I can count on your vote on November 7th.