Over 400 guests joined in a magnificent celebration of the Pelham Civic Association’s 78th Annual Dinner Dance and Las Vegas Night held on October 27th at The Fountainhead in New Rochelle. This year’s Persons of the Year were Bill Taubner and Bob Tracy.
The Pelham Civic Association - one of New York State’s most active, volunteer charitable organizations, assisting the youth, the seniors, the financially needy and the physically and mentally challenged - proudly acknowledged this year’s honorees with an overwhelming demonstration of love and support.
The following lists the many accomplishments and volunteer efforts of the two honorees:
William Frederick “Bill” Taubner, Sr. has been - and continues to be - an exemplary pillar of the community, extremely altruistic and benevolent to charities, causes, individuals and families. And Bill prefers to keep them anonymous. Rest assured, one can always depend on Bill to assist where help is needed… whether it be for an individual, a community project, or a school initiative. Bill was born, raised and resides in Pelham Manor, having attended Pelham Schools Grades 1-12. Married to Catherine Walsh, they have two children: Catherine and Billy. He is the Executive VP of BCM Corp - the world’s largest manufacturer of metal ball chain, as well as Logotags & Shimmerscreen. He attended Bucknell University & Iona College.
A few of Bill’s benevolent endeavors and leadership roles include:
• Chairman, Village of Pelham Manor Planning Board
• VP/Board of Directors- MINT: Mental Health Initiative
• Board of Directors, New York School for the Deaf
• Coach, Pelham Ice Hockey
• Dinner Host, Pelham Public Library Novel Night Fundraiser
• Board of Directors/Boys & Girls Head Coach, Pelham Little League
• Boys & Girls Head Coach, Pelham Rec Soccer
• Chair, Platform Tennis/Travers Is Committee- New York Athletic Club
• Chair, Amer. Platform Tennis Men’s/Women’s Nat. Championship
• Fundraising Committee, PMHS- PTA
• Co-Chair, Fundraising Committee, Pelham Middle School- PTA
• Parent Volunteer, Siwanoy School-PTA
• Den Leader, Pelham Cub Scouts
• Committee Member, Jennifer Monachino Lapey for Mayor of Village of Pelham Manor
Bill’s selflessness, generosity and benevolence have made Pelham a better community for all to live, and the Pelham Civics a stronger organization of which they are proud to call him their Pelham Civic brother, and were honored to bestow upon him Person of the Year for 2017.
Bob Tracy has been one of the most valuable and effective members of the Pelham Civic Association for the past twenty years. His active volunteerism and leadership have resulted in the success of significant programs, projects and events that continue to have an enormous impact on the community.
Born in Manhattan and raised on Long Island, Bob went on to attend The College of the Holy Cross. After graduation, Bob served a volunteer year with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps as a drug abuse counselor in Houston, Texas. He returned to New York to attend St. John’s University School of Law where he met and married Marie McIntyre. He and Marie have two daughters, Kathryn and Maura. He is currently a Partner in the law firm of Gibney, Anthony & Flaherty LLP. Bob has served the Pelham Civic Association as President, Chairman of the Board, Vice President of Youth Programs, Vice President of Community Programs, Secretary, and liaison to American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
Bob’s many talents and hard work have transcended the Pelham Civics into other worthwhile causes and charitable organizations throughout Pelham. The following represents just some his other volunteer contributions:
• Vice President and Board Member of Pelham Education Foundation
• Board Member and counsel to Hearts & Homes for Refugees
• Member and co-chair of Pelham Interfaith Council
• Alumni Interviewer & Class Co-Chair of Annual Giving, The College of the Holy Cross
• Village Attorney, Village of Pelham 2003-2008 (served as volunteer)
• OLPH, Lector and past member of Parish Finance Council
• Member, Citizens Nominating Committee
• Member, Pelham Middle School Construction Advisory Committee
• Commissioner, Coach, Publicity Coordinator- Pelham Recreation Soccer
• Coach, Pelham Recreation Softball
Bob’s unselfish spirit of giving has been evident from his year as a Jesuit Volunteer 35 years ago to his contributions to Pelham charities and organizations that continue to this day. Whenever Bob is asked to help, he says “yes.” It is this spirit of sacrifice and generosity toward others that makes this Pelham Civic brother very special… and a recipient of the 2017 Person of the Year Award.
According to Phil Carfora, Dinner Dance Chairman & VP of Fundraising, “Everyone had a great time, and the fundraising efforts were a huge success. Thank you everyone for helping us accomplish our goal.”
Ken Shirreffs, President of the Pelham Civics, continued, “I would like to thank our 2017 Persons of the Year Bob Tracy and Bill Taubner. It was a fabulous Gala as Bob, Bill and the Pelham community helped us reach our goals so we can continue to make a difference in people’s lives.”
Michael Recca, Raffle Chairman, announced the drawn winners of the 2017 Raffle Prizes: $100 Raffle- Grand Prize: $10,000 Cash: Will Cavanaugh, Pelham. $5 Raffle-1st Prize: $1000 Cash: Ramsey McGrory, Pelham; 2nd Prize: 55” Color TV: Madeline Tully, Pelham; 3rd Prize: $500 Gulf Gas Card: Mark D’Urso, Rye Brook; 4th Prize: Foursome Golf @ PCC: Mike Volpe, Pelham; and 5th Prize: Dining in Pelham: Marcks Family, Pelham.
For more information, visit the Pelham Civic Association on Facebook and also on their website at pelhamcivics.org.