Celebrating the Incredible Work of the Pelham Education Foundation
Each spring as the flowers begin to bloom and the trees transition from brown to green, Pelham celebrates the Pelham Education Foundation’s annual Blue Ribbon Day. This year, on May 7, homes and businesses across the town will be adorned with blue ribbons commemorating donations to this incredible organization.
As always, the PEF has continued to support our students and teachers in a variety of ways through important grants that help further our District’s work in key areas. Some examples from this past year include:
• Sponsoring the Science Department’s “Diversity in STEAM” community celebration of the book, “The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind”
• Supporting authors’ visits in grades 3-8, featuring PMHS alumna and children’s author Emma Otheguy and graphic novelist and MacArthur “genius” Fellow Gene Luen Yang
• Helping the Middle School achieve recognition as a National School of Character
• Funding a substance abuse discussion called “The First Day,” featuring former NBA player and nationally-renowned speaker Chris Herren.
• Expanding the Building Bridges disability awareness program for grades K-5 to all elementary schools
• Supporting the PMHS Centennial Celebration
Additionally, our students continue to see the benefits of the PEF’s ongoing work, including their financial support of our award-winning science research program and putting on our middle and high school theatrical performances. A few years ago, the PEF provided a substantial amount of seed money to begin a pilot program of installing innovative and flexible furniture in our schools. The District is now continuing this work and has begun rolling out this engaging furniture District-wide.
These represent just some of the grants that the PEF has funded and I encourage you to learn more about the organization’s work on the PEF website and consider making a donation to this wonderful organization that so powerfully supports our students and teachers each and every day. Please note that donations must be made by May 4 to receive a ribbon.
Thank you to the PEF and to the Pelham community for your incredible support of our schools.
Cheryl H. Champ, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools